Friday, February 13, 2009

Stack yo' mugs!

" I built a studio in an old dairy barn (thanks to Wayne Starke) in South Dakota and built a wood-fire kiln, firing with free scrap from the local sawmills. Paul had told me that wood was the best way for a potter to use solar energy."

Cloudwest, Jered Nelson is a good natured person and a tasteful quality artist. He has discovered the secret in finding time, to be in his element in his chilly studio at the moment, creating beautiful functional ceramic pieces, while running his own store of his work. He's in Berkeley. There's no one quite like him out there.

"I am using a clay of my own formulation, 73% local material, strong stoneware. I have been in national shows, won awards, been in some of the best art fairs in the country. I am very much a product of my surroundings and reflect what I see, feel, taste, touch, and hear into my work. I have taken great care in making my pots strong, functional, safe and as eco-friendly as I know how so that when you need a mug, some tile or a sculpture you can feel good about getting it here.
I am not a company or corporation, I am a potter following his passion and trying to make that passion a service to others."
I'm at lost for words, this man as taken the alternative route in life, in so many different ways and is very successful in doing so.


No comments:

Post a Comment